Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm proud of this one

This was my first time using yeast. I've always been intimidated by yeast, probably due to memories of my mom's orders not to make too much noise or run or jump while she was baking bread. "SHHH! The bread will fall! Don't disturb the bread!" I should have known she was over stressing.


I had a bit of a lull in my work situation in the fall and it drove me to attempt baking Challah.
It worked! I ate one all by myself in like 3 days (It made really good toast) and froze the other to reheat at a dinner party later. I just placed it in a warm oven for 20 minutes or so in foil and it was like fresh!

I went with the 4 strand braiding technique after consulting some very helpful people on
you tube. I used black sesame seeds because that was what I had. I don't like sesame seeds much so I was a little stingy with them, you see.

Here's the recipe I used. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/challah-i/Detail.aspx
I'm so glad I'm not afraid of yeast anymore.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I saw the preview on The Food and I had to come visit. My mother said all of those things too, along with 'don't open the door or my bread will catch cold'. I hated bread-making day and refused to eat it. Now, of course, I bake my own. Your challah looks gorgeous!
:)