Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Alirang

Good Canada Day morning! It's very noisy here in lowertown, so I thought I'd get up and recall the dinner I had Sunday night with my very successful blogger friend, Tracie.

I am a lover of different cuisines from all countries. The only one I've had trouble with has been Korea. I was taken out for Korean food once in my university days by my teacher and he forced me to order bibimbap. I was put off by the fried egg and the vinegariness. It was just unappealing to the less adventurous me of 1999.

I am pleased to report that I've tried a couple more times recently and now I'm totally into Korean food! I've been to Alirang (Nelson, north of Rideau) twice now. The first time I had something with raw salmon over a bunch of stuff in a pot and stupidly ruined it by pouring the miso soup all over it. DUH! So that was unsuccessful. This time I decided to give bibimbap another go and I don't know if this is just a better restaurant than the one I tried in Toronto years ago, but I really enjoyed it. The fried egg integrated nicely with all the other stuff and it was just spicy enough and had some sweetness to offset the vinegariness which used to bother me.

I put my stamp of approval on Alirang. It's worth a trip just to see the neon jellyfish wall aquarium.

2 comments:

TL said...

Not to mention the seafood soondubu... YUM!

Markuss Carcass said...

Alirang is fucking fantastic.

It has recently come to my attention that the wall jellyfish are plastic.